Dear Alleycat

I wrote a play. It's a one-act, the title of which is above. It got picked up by Theatre Workshop of Owensboro  (KY) and is going to be performed in their annual "Summer Shorts" program. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited about it. Excited and nervous. Like probably anyone in this situation, I have nightmares of it flopping epically. I hope not! I hope it gets a good reception, obviously.

I've seen the list of plays for the Summer Shorts along with their estimated run times. Mine is the longest, coming in at just under 30min. Can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Before Dear Alleycat got picked up by T.W.O., I also submitted it for one other one-act contest, this one much closer to me in Lockhart, TX. Waiting to see if it advances to the final round of plays that will be performed there as well.

"What's it about?" is the question everyone asks. Well of course an author/playwright has a difficult time boiling things down to a two sentence summary. It's about a lot of things, but mostly it's about family relations and the tragedy of cancer. It's a drama and it is admittedly quite sad. A "tear-jerker", someone who read it told me. This person is a theatre professor at a renowned liberal arts college who offered some constructive criticism. She of course pointed out some areas that could be better, but overall gave it a good review and told me I should be proud of it. I am!

If it gets a good reception in the next few months I would like to look into publishing it. I would love for it to be on "the list" of one-acts that can be performed in high school one act competitions, etc.

It's called "Dear Alleycat" because "Allison" or "Ally/Alley" is the main character, and her mother writes letters to her using the pet nickname "Alleycat". There are no felines in the production. Well, none written into the script, anyway!

Comments

Popular Posts