Blog Action Day "Inequality" Post

So for Blog Action Day I'm supposed to blog about "inequality". I'm sure I could post about plenty of inequal things in life: inequal pay for women in the workplace, inequal college admission rates among races, etc. From viewing the Blog Action Day website I'm pretty sure blogactionday.org wants me to talk about how the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. But instead I am going to talk about: inequal charitable contributions among conservatives and liberals. Apparently according to multiple studies conservatives give nearly twice as much to non-government charitable organizations as liberals do, despite making up to 38% less income. Blue states are less charitable than red ones, and 9 of the top 10 charitable states are either heavy Morman populations (Utah and Idaho) or in the Bible Belt. So why is this? Here's my probably-not-very-popular-on-the-web opinion: conservative Christians care. Non-conservative, non-Christians don't, or at least not as much. And when liberals do care, they tend to petition to have taxes be raised and re-routed to fund government programs to fix the things they care about, they don't give their time or money to nonprofit charities to do it. They're more likely to give to and campaign for a political candidate who they think will "take care" of the people they're worried about (sick, homeless, poor) than they are to do it themselves or give to a church or charitable organization that is actually out there taking care of these people. Is that really what's happening? I mean I don't profess to know for sure, that's just what the numbers look like to me. What do you think? Which group (conservatives or liberals) really do "think of the children!"? Be nice! :;

Comments

Popular Posts