Modern Praise & Worship Music is Not the Devil

So recently this meme has made it around on Facebook, posted by multiple people I know who prefer traditional hymns to modern praise and worship music: So I am not personally offended by this or anything, but I do want to point out that I think it's a tad exaggerated. Here are the lyrics to Hillsong's "Oceans", the runaway hit and top praise and worship song of 2015. As of Feb 2016 it is still in the Billboard top 5! "You call me out upon the waters The great unknown where feet may fail And there I find You in the mystery In oceans deep My faith will stand And I will call upon Your name And keep my eyes above the waves When oceans rise My soul will rest in Your embrace For I am Yours and You are mine Your grace abounds in deepest waters Your sovereign hand Will be my guide Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me You've never failed and You won't start now So I will call upon Your name And keep my eyes above the waves When oceans rise My soul will rest in Your embrace For I am Yours and You are mine" Read those lyrics and tell me they're anything like that ridiculous meme above. They're not, of course. Actually I looked at the top 10 praise songs right now and none of them are as repetitive as that meme. It's just not true. Also - you know how some people just love Shakespeare? Quote him all the time, read everything he's written, go see all of his plays? Well I just don't like him. It's not because I don't understand it, it's just not my thing. I respect it, especially for its historical significance... But I don't LIKE it. It's the same for me with hymns. I grew up with them, and I'm tired of them. Do you listen to the same say 50 songs for your entire life? I don't. But some traditionalists think we should be pulling from the same 50 hymns every Sunday forever. I'm sorry but that bores the snot out of me. I want new songs with guitars and drums because THATS WHAT I LIKE. And apparently I'm not the only one, as evidenced by the insane popularity of Christian music and contemporary worship services right now. Anyhow the point of all this is that I just disagree with the premise of that meme - that all modern praise and worship songs are boring and brainless and repetitive, and that old timey hymns from the pre-Civil War era are "real" worship. Worship is in the heart, and at some point the lyrics have to touch yours, and people's hearts are touched in different ways. For me and a lot of people, old hymns don't do it. AND THAT IS OKAY. And...that meme is exaggerated and ridiculous.

Comments

Popular Posts